About the awards
Micro, Small & Medium Enterprise (MSME) sector is a critically important sector of the economy, as there are around 6.34 crore MSMEs in India. This sector is one of the principal contributors to Gross Domestic Product (GDP), exports and employment generation in the country.
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) and The Economic Times have joined hands to bring the first edition of SIDBI-ET India MSE Awards, a platform created to recognize and reward performers in both the micro and small enterprise categories for some outstanding achievements in the manufacturing and services sector. The awards will be a celebration of contributions of those MSEs who have contributed to the ‘Make in India’ initiative and can be an inspiration to millions of other enterprises across the country. CRISIL has joined us as the knowledge partner for these awards.
The Awardee MSE
in each of the categories
shall be eligible
for the following:
- Concessional Funding from SIDBI
- Mentorship by India’s leading business personalities
- Skill Upgradation at premier Institutes
Applications welcome in four categories
Awards in each category
*In all 28 awards across 4 categories and 2 special category awards for noteworthy efforts in the MSE lending segment.
- Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC)
- Award Description
- Best MSE Micro & Small Enterprises(MSE) who have demonstrated an excellent track record in managing a successful business.
- Most Innovative MSE Micro & Small Enterprises(MSE) who have demonstrated use of innovative products, processes, or services and have the ability to convert the concept into a successful business model. The MSE should also be the first to introduce the innovative concept in India and must have patented the same.
- Young MSE Achiever First generation entrepreneur having an excellent track record of establishing and leading a profitable business.
- Woman MSE Achiever An outstanding woman entrepreneur who holds majority stake in her business and has shown an excellent record in establishing and leading a successful business.
MSE Best initiative taken by MSE to be environment friendly either in terms of product or process.
- Best MSE Exporter Sustainable export business model generating maximum percentage of revenue and profit from exports to various countries.
- Most Tech Savvy MSE MSE which leverages on technology to successfully grow its business and have demonstrated significant improvement in process /product with technology adoption.
Lender to MSEs
(Special Category) The SIDBI-ET India MSE Awards honors the noteworthy efforts of the Banks and NBFCs in the MSE lending segment. It aims to recognize lenders which have truly gone beyond expectations and demonstrated excellence in loan delivery to MSEs over the course of the fiscal year 2017 and 2018.
- Annual turnover of upto Rs. 25 crore (as on March 2017), profitable operations and having positive net worth (capital + reserves)
- Employee base of 10-250 full time employees
- Established business – 3 years (FY 14-15,15-16,16-17) of operations
- Must be wholly owned and managed by Indian nationals or Non-resident Indian (NRIs) /Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) and with Registered office in India
- No defaults by the MSE, its promoters and its group entities to any lender in the past 3 years (FY 14-15,15-16,16-17). No delays in paying statutory dues.
- The MSME definition does not factor trading and hence the same will be restricted to select categories such as online trading
- Franchisees /dealerships of corporates/MNCs and enterprises engaged in financial services (chit funds, lending, broking, etc) are ineligible.
- All banks and NBFCs operating in India are eligible to apply for the awards.
- Lenders must necessarily have loan products to cater to MSEs. The definitions of micro and small enterprises are in accordance with the provision of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises Development (MSMED) Act, 2006 and the lending as per RBI’s guidelines on lending.
- Upon successful submission of the nomination form, a digital participation certificate would be issued jointly by SIDBI and ET.
- CRISIL would provide iCheck on a complimentary basis to all eligible (Conditions apply) applicants. iCheck is an independent verification of an MSE's presence in the market. For more details please visit https://www.smefirst.com/products/crisilICheck. The iCheck would be mailed to all eligible applicants after the closure of the nomination process.
- Candidates shortlisted for second level would be offered CRISIL Credit Assessment Score (CCAS) priced at Rs 6,999/- free of
charge on a complimentary basis for one year (Conditions apply) . CCAS score would be one of the parameters that would be considered for screening beyond first level. For more details on CCAS please visit, https://www.smefirst.com/products/CrisilCreditAssessment
What are Lenders saying?
They see MSE performance improving
9 out of 10 lenders expect
overall business situation of MSEs to improve
Asset quality expected to show some improvement
5 out of 10 lenders expect a decrease in NPA
Funding challenges seen continuing for a while
5 out of 10 lenders believe it is difficult for MSEs to
get bank funding
What’s limiting MSE growth?
According to the survey, the limiting factors, in descending order, are:
Access to Capital
Availability of Technology
Power and Infrastructure
Availability of Raw Material
We will be updating it soon.